Monday, January 12, 2009

other notes

So I signed for this Italian Language Meetup through meetup.com many months ago, with the hope of being inspired to somehow find a way to continue language learning and such. Because of my crazy work schedule I was never able to make it to a meetup..... until last Friday (which I had forgotten about but then had gotten an e-mail about and had gone to check it out only to find out I had already RSVPed yes, so I figured I'd go). It was in Hampton. At some fancy seafood-y restaurant. I had thought it was at 7 so I arrived promptly at 7:02pm and was seated in the (dimly lit) crowded restaurant at a large table. I was the only one there. For 40 minutes. I read and re-read and re-re-read the menu, taking note of the font and pictures and colors. I looked at the decor of the restaurant and paid heed to the attitude and conversations of everyone around. ....and then a lady appeared and looked at me twice. (That's when you know they think they've got me). She was a chatty middle aged lady. A widow, I think. But chatty. Within 3 minutes she was halfway through her life story and on to telling her mother's. Then she ordered a beer. Another lady - picture......101 Dalmations. And then picture the evil lady with all her make up and fur coats and evil smile. And that was the lady who next appeared at our side speaking italian (nix the evil smile, but add an ounce or two of class and pride). So I spent my Friday night chatting away with these middle aged strangers and life was good. (I told them about my travels through the United States and the beauty of a Wyoming sky. They talked about their adventures through Italy in class.)

***

On another note, the main kid I work with is leaving (actually, she's already gone). (Upsetting). And I started my mentor/ mentee program today and realized I don't know how to be a mentor. Maybe I should get on that.

On a different note, I love the library. My favorite place.

On some other note, my guitar instructor said I'm improving. I don't always feel like I am though. Guess it takes time. I can, however, find chords without too much trouble.

On a completely different note, I love meeting strangers.

I also went bowling last night with Stepanian. And met some nice new people!

No comments: