So I'm living in GF now. Working here too.
GF is a funny place. It's a town of about 20k, run as a city, but still prefers to be called a town. It seems to have been in its prime in the late 1800s/ early 1900s. You can see it in the building styles and structures downtown. I live 1.2 miles from where I work, so on a good day I prefer to walk there. GF reminds me a little bit of Worcester, except I'm always a tiny bit uncomfortable walking around. There are always people walking around downtown (actually, a lot of the time, they're just milling about and watching). I never feel like someone's going to mug me or anything, though I just get this weird feeling while walking around.
The living situation? So it's a 20-room old mansion, overlooking the Connecticut River Valley. Beautiful view; beautiful building. There are a few kitchens, two dining rooms, 2 or 3 living rooms, a beautiful deck, etc. The other residents are 18-22ish and an older woman. The younger ones smoke a lot. They're all friendly enough, mostly, but not friends (well, with each other they are). We each have chores to do. I clean the laundry room, make sure the recycling is sorted and cleaned, and help manage the garden. I have to get permission to have guests. It's a weird cross between a boarding school, college dorm, and motel. (Also, the kitchen's kind of...dirty. Had trouble finding dishes and silverware the first week. and sometimes people steal things?) (oh, and they forgot to flush the toilet this morning. uck.)
The job? Oh, that's easy enough. No problems there. The weeks pass by pretty fast. Today the servers were down all day. We had a few hour meeting to talk about the next few months, I tried to do a little work, then we were just told to leave. We couldn't use the computer, access the internet, nothing. It's hard to do anything with Communications without the web/computer......
Things are a bit solitary here. I'm still adapting to not being around people and not having a lot to do or places to go. it gives a lot of time to think?
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
grrr! no people around and no places to go sounds like it doesn't really mix with jackie just yet! hopefully we'll be able to work on a weekend to visit... :)
Post a Comment